The popular Pensacola Beach Sign was designed by Pat Born and built by Lamar Advertising in the late 1960s. Its first location was downtown and pointed the way to the Pensacola Bay Bridge and Pensacola Beach. In 1962, the sign was moved to its present location in Gulf Breeze. In 2003, the two-sided ... Read more
This rare century-old stained glass window is situated above the altar of Faith Chapel in the Jekyll Island National Landmark Historic District. Designed and made by David Maitland Armstrong and his daughter, Helen Armstrong, the window was installed in 1896. It measures 86 inches wide and 50 inches... Read more
Washington National Cathedral was chartered by an act of the United States Congress in 1893. Its foundation stone, inscribed "the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us," was laid in 1907, and its final finial was set in place in 1990. Officially named the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and S... Read more
The Clara Barton National Historic Site was established as a unit of the National Park Service in 1975, to commemorate the founder of the American Red Cross. Built in 1891, the structure was first used as a warehouse for disaster relief supplies. Miss Barton moved into the building in 1897, at which... Read more
On April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth assassinated President Abraham Lincoln during a performance of "Our American Cousin" at Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC. President Lincoln, First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln, and their guests were seated in the President's box when Booth, a well known actor, ... Read more
Nelly Custis, granddaughter of George & Martha Washington, was an accomplished needleworker. This design is an adaptation of a piece she was working on at the time of her death. The kit includes 14 Ct. Ivory Aida, pattern, needle, and floss. Finished size: 11" x 11".
Celebrate the spirit of discovery with this sampler of key figures from the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Thomas Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase called upon those of undaunted courage to explore new wonders and chart the way for others who would follow. For nearly three years, the Corps of Discovery pr... Read more
This exceptionally fine example of Georgian architecture was constructed between 1732 and 1756 in Philadelphia to house the colonial government of Pennsylvania. It rose to national prominence when, within its walls, the Declaration of independence was adopted (1776) and the U. S. Constitution was dr... Read more
General George Washington established the Purple Heart Award for military merit during the Revolutionary War. Today, it is awarded to members of the US military services who are wounded or killed in action.
Kit includes: fabric, floss,needle, chart, instructions and color photo of finished project. Design Size: 4.5" x 2.5"
Faith Chapel was built in 1904 by Jekyll Island Club members as a nondenominational chapel. The chapel contains two excellent examples of American stained glass by Louis Comfort Tiffany, David Maitland Armstrong, and his daughter, Helen Armstrong.
Kit includes: fabric, floss,needle, chart, instructions and color photo of finished project. Design Size: 6" x 8"
Adapted from the artwork of Low Country artist Marina Cantlon, who is known for portraying the Gullah people of South Carolina and Georgia. Kit includes 14 Ct. Ivory aida, pattern, needle, and thread. Finished size: 3 1/4" x 8".
During the Revolutionary War, members of the "field music," such as this drummer and fifer, dressed in the reverse colors of the regiments they supported, so as to be more visible to the soldiers receiving their signals on the field of battle. To correspond to the blue coats with red trim wo... Read more
The west rose window of Washington National Cathedral, created and installed in 1976 by artist Rowan LeCompte, tells the story of Creation in an abstract form. It unfolds from a center of white glass representing the passage from Genesis in which God says, "Let there be light." The window co... Read more
Completed in 1885 by Bess Truman's grandfather, Delaware was home to the Trumans. After their marriage in 1919,Harry moved in with Bess's family. In 1924, their only child, Margaret, was born upstairs. Known as the "Summer White House" from 1945 to 1953, the home remained in the family until... Read more
The Liberty Bell was hung in the belfry of the Pennsylvania State House (later renamed Independence Hall) in 1753 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn's Charter of Privileges. It summoned people for special events such as the July 8, 1776, reading of America's newly-adopted Declaratio... Read more